Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, Same Girl.

I've always been a list maker. I've always been the one to write down my goals at the start of a new year. It doesn't matter how big, or how small the goal, I've written it down. From flossing my teeth daily, to running a marathon, to the obligatory "lose 5-10 lbs" that most women put on their list for the new year.

The start of 2008 I made a huge list of goals. Some larger then I ever imagined. That year I managed to achieve everything on that list. So what next? It's a little depressing when you realize you've achieved everything you wanted to, and still haven't figured out what's next. It kind of left me feeling lethargic, like I did all I needed too and didn't have much else to accomplish. Sad right?

The start of 2009 I took a different approach. After going through a rough spot in my mid-twenties, I decided I would take the pressure off myself. I didn't write a list - I didn't write my yearly goals. That's the first time I can remember that I didn't start my new year off with a list of goals. But you know what? It worked out ok. Without feeling the pressure to complete something, without having to figure out what comes next, I just let my year happen - and I still managed to accomplish big things, pursue big things, and learn to like myself more then I ever have.

So here we are. January 1, 2010. A start of a new year, and a new decade. This year I'm going to take a new route. Rather then list all the things I want to achieve, I'm going to write a mission statement. One filled with words I want to live by, words I want to shape my life around. I'm going to create a personal mantra that I hope will inspire me, inspire others, and support a happy, healthy, and prosperous lifestyle. Forget the pressure, forget the "I have to" and focus on the "I get to."

If I get brave enough, I might post it. But for now, it's for my eyes only.

Happy New Year everyone. I hope that it's filled with strength, happiness, and peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment