Monday, January 11, 2010

Clarity through Broken Expectations...

Situation 1.
Have you ever been in one of those situations where you have so many options about something that you get totally overwhelmed? It's like that Mae West quote that I love so much "Too much of a good thing, is wonderful...." That's true.  Yet at the same time, too many good options can be burdensome in a way.  So many good things to choose from - which do you pick?


Situation 2.
What about discomfort? What about expectations? By nature we put a lot of expectations on ourselves, on other people - and often times we find ourselves in a state of discontent, anger, frustration, when what we were expecting doesn't work out as planned.


I just had moment where I married the two feelings mentioned above.  Stick with me - I might get theoretical.  I have a number amazing opportunities in my life right, it's like a multiple choice question about my life - and I want to select "all of the above."  At the same time, I have high expectations set for certain situations, high hopes, that weren't fully realized. 


Two very different life situations occurred simultaneously.  Situation 1: Lots of positive opportunities presenting... Situation 2: Disappointment from unfulfilled expectations.   When my expectations took a hit, I was able to find clarity in what I want - I was able to make a decision about all those positive opportunities.  What is going to work best for me.  It was like a yin and yang moment.  A moment where I stopped putting expectations on other people, and looked at myself - and realized that I'm in control.  I make the choices.  Selfish? Maybe.  Liberating? Definitely.  

No comments:

Post a Comment