Thursday, January 7, 2010

Anxiously Waiting...

So I entered an essay contest with Real Simple magazine last fall - the essay was due the first of September, and required a response to the following question: "When did you realize you had become a grown-up?" Think about that for a few minutes. Some people may base it on a tangible experience, like when they moved out of their parents house, or found the first gray hair. Or maybe it was an experience of losing someone - maybe you still haven't grown-up!

I entered this contest, that has a grand prize of $3,000 - a fully expenses paid trip to NYC, and most important - meetings with the editors of Real Simple magazine. I remember when I entered thinking that it seemed like forever until the would announce the winner - but now the time has come. The winner is supposed to find out after January 3, 2010 - and the results will be posted on the Real Simple website after January 8th - TOMORROW!!

There's a piece of me that's holding out hope that I could be the grand prize winner - another piece of me is saying that if I had one, I would know already. Nonetheless, I've been checking the Real Simple website 10 times a day for the last 7 days, just to see if there is anything new. So far, no dice.

Regardless of whether or not I emerge the big winner, I gained a lot from writing my entry. I'm not necessarily going to go into all the details, but long story short, I wrote about a very challenging and personal time that I went through with my family. There were a lot of emotions involved that I hadn't previously experienced, I saw my parents from a different viewpoint, and as a family, I think we all grew a little closer - despite some scary times. Writing about the situation forced me to relive a difficult time, but also to recognize the ways in which I grew from it, and the ways in which we all evolved into bigger, better, people.

I shared the essay with my parents before submitting it, which was also a learning experience. I think the degree of emotion, as well as subject matter may have caught them a little off guard, but all in all, it was beneficial to have everything out in the open, and revisit a difficult time for us all.

My conclusion was that I've grown-up by way of these type of experiences. The ones in which you have to take charge, take a role, and take some type of responsibility when others might not necessarily be able too. At the same time, I realized I'm going to continue to grow - and that I might never be fully "grown-up" - because really, what's the fun in that?

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'll let you know what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment