Thursday, October 22, 2009

"I'm much to young to feel, this damn old." You said it Garth. Country songs always tell the truth. They may be a little dramatic sometimes, but they always seem to get it right, whether we want to admit it or not.

I read a couple years ago, that as adults, we tend to reach our "physical peak" at 25. I guess that was pretty accurate, because here I am 26 and I feel the pain. A night of drinking wreaks havoc on my body for the next 24 hours, I'm stiff when I wake up in the morning, and I can't reach my toes when I bend over - not without a little work.

And now, it's my back. Without being able to put a trigger to my sudden onset of pain, I did something to my lower back that caused me to spend the entire day, flat on my back, using ice, and excessive amounts of Advil for the past 8 hours. I've gotten up and walked a little bit around my apartment, I've done gentle stretching, and I've posted notes around my living room and kitchen that say "My back is healing. My back is ok" (if you're confused, read The Secret.)

Despite the fact that my back is throbbing, I have faith it'll feel a little better tomorrow. And being home all day today gave me the privilege of watching the sun come up and later transition into a beautiful sunset. My apartment turned a beautiful gold color for about 3 minutes, that I wouldn't have gotten to see if I weren't here.

Ice. Stretch. Breathe. Ice. Stretch. Breathe. Ice. Stretch. Breath.... Advil.

No comments:

Post a Comment