Friday, November 6, 2009

Deciding to Move Forward

Decision making is powerful tool. When one is made, it suddenly gives you the visibility you need in order to move forward. Decisions can be a burden. Weighing the options of one choice versus the options of the other. Considering the pros and cons of each. Thinking about the long term and how the decision you make might affect you in the future. Decisions can be stressful, causing an unexpected weight on your mind, energy, outlook - your overall level of living.

And people want to weigh in. People like to give their input, and often times, we ask for it. Making a decision for yourself can be especially burdensome, but equally empowering if you're confident in your choice and true to gut.

My Mom reads this book, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" - she loves it, uses it as a mantra. At first, I thought it was silly, but then I looked through it, and I can see why it's helpful for her. We're faced with so many decisions on a daily basis - just think about your normal everyday routine. From whether or not to push the snooze alarm an extra time (I always do...), to what to wear, whether to bring lunch or eat out, which project to tackle first, whether to have the afterwork cocktail or hit the gym... Our life is based on decision making. And these are just the tiny, day to day choices!

Over the past year, I've made some very big decisions - ones I'm proud of, but in a strange way intimidated by. When I made the decision to leave my job, I knew how challenging things might become, and that I would have to hold myself accountable for all my choices, actions, and decisions moving forward. I made such a big decision, that something as small as what to make for dinner shouldn't stress me out... but it sometimes does.

I've realized that when we're able to come to a conclusion, come to a decision on something that we've spent countless hours pondering, it's empowering. It provides a sense of strength, confidence, and relief if you let it. There can be no regrets. No looking back. Only moving on, embracing the choice you made, taking the consequences and the outcome, and going forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment